How your pediatrician in Addison, and Brookfield, IL, can help your child with depression
Is your child often sad? Has your child stopped enjoying fun activities? If so, it could be more than just a mood swing. Your child could have depression, a highly treatable condition. Your pediatrician can help.
Dr. Walter Perez at A To Z Pediatric And Youth Healthcare provides a wide range of medical services for children, including diagnosis and treatment of depression. He has two convenient office locations in Addison, and Brookfield, IL, to help your child.
As a parent, you are the first person who may notice changes in your child. It’s important to pay attention to the signs and symptoms of depression, which include:
- Feelings of sadness or irritability most days
- Avoiding activities which used to be fun
- Changes in eating or sleeping patterns
- Frequent fatigue, tension, or restlessness
- Wanting to isolate and not interact with others
If you notice any of the signs and symptoms listed above, you should schedule a visit with your pediatrician. Your pediatrician does far more than just check your child’s physical health. Your pediatrician can evaluate your child’s mental health too.
Your pediatrician will perform a physical evaluation, just to make sure your child doesn’t have an underlying medical condition. The pediatrician will then take a detailed report, noting any family changes which can bring on periods of depression. These include:
- Divorce or separation
- Moving to a new area
- Changing schools
- Losing friendships
- Death of a family member
Your pediatrician may recommend the following treatments to help your child cope with depression:
- Medication therapy to elevate mood and limit depressive feelings
- Lifestyle modification to help your child feel better
In severe cases, your pediatrician may recommend a referral to a child psychologist or child psychiatrist. Common treatments with these professionals include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to teach your child how to reframe negative thoughts into more positive ones
- Behavioral therapy to teach your child how to cope with life in a healthy way
- Family therapy to help family members be more supportive when your child feels depressed
To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of childhood depression, call Dr. Walter Perez at A To Z Pediatric And Youth Healthcare. You can reach him in the Addison, IL, office by calling (630) 757-4010, or in Brookfield, IL, by calling (708) 905-5993. Call today.