How your pediatrician in Addison, and Brookfield, IL, can help your child with substance abuse
Adolescence can be a troubling time to go through, causing some adolescents to turn to substance abuse. Hormonal changes, difficulties in school, changes in the family dynamic, depression, and anxiety can all lead to coping in harmful ways, including using drugs and alcohol. Your pediatrician can help.
Dr. Walter Perez at A To Z Pediatric And Youth Healthcare provides comprehensive medical services for children, including substance abuse treatment. He has two convenient office locations in Addison, and Brookfield, IL, to help your child with substance abuse.
Life can get overwhelming for adolescents, with daily pressures at home, at school, and at a job. Relationship pressures can contribute to an adolescent needing to find release, sometimes with drugs or alcohol.
You as a parent may be the person who notices your adolescent using drugs or alcohol. Some common behaviors to look for include:
- Isolating from friends and family members
- Not going to school or work
- Dropping old friends for a new group of friends
- Acting aggressive, angry, or depressed
- Losing interest in fun activities
- Breaking rules or curfew
- Stealing or always asking for money
You may also notice subtle behaviors like these:
- Avoiding eye contact
- Sleeping more
- Losing weight, having bloody or watery eyes, shaking, and tremors
- Locking the bedroom door
- Making phone calls in secret
If you notice any of the behaviors listed above, your adolescent could have substance abuse issues. You should schedule an appointment with your adolescent’s pediatrician.
The pediatrician can order necessary lab work to determine if drugs or alcohol are present in your adolescent. Your pediatrician will also perform a thorough physical examination to determine your adolescent’s overall health.
If your adolescent has a substance abuse problem, your pediatrician may recommend several treatments with medical professionals including:
- Outpatient substance abuse treatment
- Inpatient substance abuse treatment
- Medication to help cope with symptoms of withdrawal
- Counseling with an addiction specialist
- Adolescent psychology or psychiatry treatment
To learn more about substance abuse treatment in adolescents, call Dr. Walter Perez at A To Z Pediatric And Youth Healthcare. You can reach him in the Addison, IL, office by calling (630) 757-4010, or in Brookfield, IL, by calling (708) 905-5993, so call now.